While browsing, you will come across many ship models makers with different level of quality which will no doubt make an uncertainty in your decision where to buy your model.
The information below will help you to understand the high quality of our models. The pictures of our models will confirm our superiority. Our ships models are all hand made, neither plastic nor mould parts nor fittings from kit boxes are used.
The different aspects taken into consideration to have the best quality are:
1. Every model is built according to original plan and to scale. The maximum details are collected to make our models as accurate as possible.
2. The best wood is selected. Grade A: Teak, oak, beech, mahogany.
3. The hull is made of mainly teak which among the best wood to resist any environmental changes. As teak is rich in oil, it is obvious that the models will last for long.
4. Other kind of wood are used in the manufacture of small pieces such as cabin, capstan, blocks, and mast and so on. ( wood used are : beech, oak, rose wood and mahogany)
5. Shaping of the hull: The skeleton of the model are in plywood. It is very important to clue the couples as near as possible to have the most accurate form of the hull.
6. The latte of teak use to plank on the skeleton is of 4 mm thickness. They are not only clue but also nailed. The deck also is planked. Note that the line of symmetry is carefully verified so that the planks on both sides coincide.
7. The hull is sanded with different grade of sand paper to have a smooth surface so as have the best finish when applying varnish. Three to four coat of varnish are applied. Before the application of each layer of varnish, the hull is sanded. Some models are partly painted.
8. Starting from block of teak wood the figure head, decorations for the back and fore castle are hand carved. The craftsman should be very skilled to replicate the details which will enhance the beauty and also the quality of the models.
9. Dead-eyes, bell, barrels, capstan, balusters and cannons are turned and shaped individually on a lathe. Other details such as ladders, gun chariots, lifeboats need great attention. The sizes of these details varied according to the scale of the models. This is a very vital operation as all details should be positioned in their respective place.
10. Solid and strong wood is selected for the mast as it is important for the rigging. Most of the masts are in two or three parts. The mounting of the mast demand a lot of concentration for their straightness, especially with complicated crow nest.
11. As for the rigging, threads of different thickness and colors are selected to be closer to reality. The thread is waxed to avoid them from becoming loose. As the model is being rigged, the sails which have been dyed in tea for an oldish color are fixed at the same time.
The approval to put the model on sale will be allocated only after a meticulous verification has been done by the quality controller.
We guarantee that all our models are hand made that no plastic or mould parts are used. So each piece is unique.
When choosing our models, we assured that you are fully satisfied with our products and that you will recommend our company to your relatives and friends.
If you are looking for the perfect scale model ship you are at the right place. We offer scale ship models made with the finest wood and manufactured by expert scale model ship artisans. Browse our site to view the catalog of scale model ships that we have in store. We can ship anywhere in the world and are ready to call you back to give you the best advice before you decide to purchase a scale model ship.
contact | © 2009 Pride of the Island